A pilgrimage is a journey to a holy place. A place set aside where we experience God with all of our being, with our mind, and deep in our soul. The purpose of pilgrimage is to place our self in an environment to see and feel the presence of God, to be in relation with those that we meet, and to be in fellowship with those that journey with us. However, one does not need to go abroad to Rome or Assisi or Fatima for this life changing experience.
If you are seeking an affordable ($250) opportunity to renew or deepen your relationship with God, to grow spiritually or to witness Christ at work, join us in 2018 as we travel to the active Franciscan mission in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico, February 15-18, 2018 and another in October, dates are TBD.
The trip is a comfortable and safe eight-hour van ride from Phoenix, AZ through the beautiful state of Sonora, Mexico where the Jesuit missionary, Father Kino, once walked. Your journey is facilitated by a 3rd Order Franciscan who has traveled this path over one-hundred times in the last 25 years, and features:
- Visiting Mission San Xavier del Bac, south of Tucson, Fr. Kino’s northern most mission known as “The White Dove of the Desert” and his final resting place, mission in Magdalena de Kino, Mexico.
- Learning the history of the Casa Franciscana Mission, a holy place that spiritually, artistically and physically impacts the community.
- Experiencing God’s love through the work of the Franciscan friars and the mission staff in Guaymas while visiting the barrios, the soup kitchen, the orphanage, the medical clinic, the home for the elderly and more.
- Enjoying the comradery of your fellow pilgrims during your stay at our safe and secured mission guest house.
- Participating in religious services. The October pilgrimage includes a special day to celebrate the transitus of St Francis.
- Reflecting on your journey from the portiuncula, a peak and chapel overlooking Guaymas.
“We met living, modern day saints… the hope and the joy felt in that place will be with me always” - James
“I can’t articulate the many times that I felt the presence of God during my time with the poor in Guaymas.” - Susan
This journey is specifically created designed to foster your personal spiritual growth, not as a service trip. The total cost is $250 but no one is turned away due to inability to pay. If you are interested please email George Sabol: firstname.lastname@example.org
We lock our trip details and expenses two weeks prior to the start of the pilgrimage. Any requested refunds or cancellations must occur by Thursday, February 1st.
The CFO will provide for standard mission volunteer insurance from the Arthur J. Gallagher & Company group for all attendees. While your attendance in the Guaymas Service Mission requires an Assumption of Risk and Liability Release to the CFO and the Saint Barbara Province, we believe that providing this insurance program will assure you and your loved one’s valuable options in the event of a medical emergency. It will be your responsibility to complete the registration process and to gain confirmation from Gallagher and Company prior to our departure. Review this link for full details.
In the interest of full-disclosure, the U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain parts of Mexico due to the activities of criminal organizations in those areas. Review this link for full details.