"I went alone but I met many great people, not only the people on the mission but the great people of Casa Franciscana. We worked, prayed and played together and completed the projects planned. I wish I could stay longer but God willing I will make the trip again. I came back more energized than when I left." - Bobbe V.
"The leaders made everything run smoothly and the entire staff at Casa Franciscana was warm, inviting and thankful for our service. It was a WONDERFUL experience!" – Kathy S.
Service Mission in Guaymas –
OUR MISSION. Your service mission team will minister to the Casa Franciscana support facilities while serving in Guaymas. Each day you will work in small teams on the facilities and then develop your Franciscan theological understanding each afternoon and in the evenings. By strengthening and working on the Casa Franciscana facilities, you will ensure that the friars can continue their mission in support of the marginalized in Guaymas.
WHY WORK ON CFO BUILDINGS? Our facilities are old and in need of significant repairs. Any funds used to address this old infrastructure are funds unavailable to serve the poor. Your work will help the friars to provide lasting programs for the people of Guaymas! The CFO’s facilities support a food kitchen, a children’s after school care facility, a medical/dental clinic and even the friars living quarters are delivered in buildings throughout Guaymas. Additionally, we also must maintain our guest house so that other service missions from across the country will continue to assist the friars. We must maintain these buildings to continue our services!
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT THIS CFO SERVICE MISSION?
- All expenses are included in your mission fees. You may want to bring some spending money but all activities, meals, and expenses are included. Your fees cover our costs, we provide these missions to support the friars and provide the opportunity to have a full understanding of the works being performed in Guaymas.
- We live where we work. You will stay in the Guaymas neighborhood where we will do all of our work and where the activities of the Casa Franciscana mission are performed each day.
- Proven service experiences. Our team has been making service missions and pilgrimages to Guaymas for decades in support of Casa Franciscana.
- Small but impactful. We will support up to twenty missionaries along with our two team leaders. This small intimate group will provide for a close connection to the other missionaries, the friars, the Casa Franciscana staff and the community.
Fees Per Person – 4-Day Trip
Adults 18 years old, under 18 years old if accompanied by parent - $350.00, includes $100 building materials fee
Transportation, lodging, meals during trip, building materials and tools for work projects
- Put your faith to work within the challenging economics impacting the community supported by the Franciscan friars
- Develop your Franciscan perspective on service for the poor
- Build up the capacity of one of the most important institutions in the Guaymas
- Develop long lasting relationships with your service mission partners
- Our presence communicates hope to the community the CFO supports
PROGRAM AND PRICING DETAILS
- Dates: Thursday, November 8th thru Sunday, November 11th – Review the tentative agenda for the four-day trip.
- Fees Per Person - $350.00, includes $100 materials fee.
- Fees Include the 4-day mission trip, transportation, lodging, meals during the trip, basic volunteer travel insurance, building materials and tools for work projects.
- Adults 18 years and older, under 18 years of age require a parent or guardian and approval by the team leaders.
- All participants must sign the CFO Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Forms and return the forms to CFO.
- You must bring your passport with you and will be required to show it to your leader group prior to departure from Phoenix.
WHAT ARE THE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MY PARTICIPATION?
- We will be doing strenuous outdoor work. Activities such as painting, digging, lifting and carrying of materials will be involved each day. You should be in shape to perform this type of work.
- We will be using tools such as shovels, picks, power tools, wheelbarrows, and ladders. You’ll need to assist so make sure this type of activity makes sense for you.
- We will be outdoors and it can be very warm in November in Guaymas. Make sure you are in shape to participate in this type of environment.
The CFO will provide for standard mission volunteer insurance from the Arthur J. Gallagher & Company group for all attendees. While your attendance in the Guaymas Service Mission requires an Assumption of Risk and Liability Release to the CFO and the Saint Barbara Province, we believe that providing this insurance program will assure you and your loved one’s valuable options in the event of a medical emergency. It will be your responsibility to complete the registration process and to gain confirmation from Gallagher and Company prior to our departure. Review this link for full details.
The trip is a comfortable and safe eight-hour van ride from Phoenix, AZ through the beautiful state of Sonora, Mexico where the missionary, Jesuit Fr. Kino, once walked. We will make periodic breaks before and after the border crossing. Please bring snacks and materials for your entertainment during the drive.
Your Service Mission will be lead by two experienced CFO Board Members and long-time visitors to Guaymas. Bob Urian was on the CFO Board for over 20 years, has taken at least 100 trips to Guaymas and hosted hundreds of mission participants. Kevin Gralen is the current CFO Board President and has been active in Guaymas since he attended a pilgrimage in 2014. Fr. Tommy King will be our spiritual leader while in Guaymas. He has been a missionary throughout Latin America since 1993 and has been the leader of the Franciscan Mission in Guaymas since 2016. If you have a specific question about the service mission, send an email to email@example.com.
In the interest of full-disclosure, the U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain parts of Mexico due to the activities of criminal organizations in those areas. Review this link for full details.
Phone and internet services are available to you while in Guaymas via your wireless provider. You’ll want to check with them for any incremental service charges or needed set-up prior to leaving for Guaymas. Additionally, the guest house has a wireless router that is available to all participants.
We lock our trip details and expenses two weeks prior to the start of the mission. Any requested refunds or cancellations must occur by Thursday, October 25th.
“Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me.” – Matthew 25:40
“Working together, we make a difference!”