What is a Service Pilgrimage?
A pilgrimage is a journey to a holy place to put ourselves in an environment to see and feel God’s presence. A service mission is to go to do a needed task in His name. Casa Franciscana Outreach (CFO) has combined the two and now provides a Service Pilgrimage. If you are seeking an affordable opportunity to renew or deepen your relationship with God, to grow spiritually and to join in Christ’s work with manual labor such as painting, serving meals, repairing buildings, travel with us to the active Franciscan mission in Guaymas, Mexico.
"I went alone but I met many great people, not only the people on the mission but the great people of Casa Franciscana. We worked, prayed and played together and completed the projects planned. I wish I could stay longer but God willing I will make the trip again. I came back more energized than when I left." - Bobbe V.
"The leaders made everything run smoothly and the entire staff at Casa Franciscana was warm, inviting and thankful for our service. It was a WONDERFUL experience!" – Kathy S.
Cost and Information
- Dates: DATES TBA. Review the tentative agenda for the four-day trip.
- Fees Per Person - $300.00
- Fees Include the five-day mission trip, transportation, lodging, meals during the trip, basic volunteer travel insurance, building materials and tools for work projects.
- Adults 18 years and older, under 18 years of age require a parent or guardian and approval by the team leaders.
- All participants must sign the CFO Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability Forms and return the forms to CFO.
- You must bring your passport with you and will be required to show it to your leader group prior to departure from Phoenix.
- In the interest of full-disclosure, the U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain parts of Mexico. Review this link for full details.
“Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me.” – Matthew 25:40
- Put your faith to work
- Develop your Franciscan perspective on service for the poor
- Support the Franciscan friars by helping to maintain one of the most important institutions in the Guaymas community
- Our presence communicates hope to the community the CFO supports
- We will be frequently walking outdoors, and it can be very warm in November in Guaymas. Be prepared to tolerate this type of environment.
- We will be doing somewhat strenuous outdoor work. Activities such as painting, digging and lifting. This is the type of work you will be performing. (Lighter duty options available)
Your trip will be lead by two experienced CFO Board Members and frequent visitors to Guaymas. George Sabol a 3rd Order Franciscan who has traveled this path hundreds of times in the last 25 years, and Francisco Lopez acting as translator and guide.
The trip is a comfortable, roughly eight-hour van ride from Phoenix, AZ. The drive is approximately 3 hours to Nogales, AZ and 4 hours through the beautiful state of Sonora, Mexico where the missionary, Jesuit Fr. Kino, once walked.
We will make periodic breaks before and after the border crossing. Please bring snacks and materials for your entertainment during the drive.
- You will be staying at the Friar's guest house.
- Internet WiFi is available inside the guest house.
- Mobile Phone service is available via your wireless provider. You’ll want to check with them for any incremental service charges or needed set-up prior to leaving for Guaymas.
We lock our trip details and expenses two weeks prior to the start of the mission. Any requested refunds or cancellations must occur at or before the orientation.